EPA Annouces New changes to dicamba registration
The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals orders the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) to vacate the registration of three of the four dicamba products that had previously been approved for use on dicamba tolerant (DT) soybeans. Those products are: XtendiMax, Engenia, and FeXapan. Tavium is still registered for use in Ohio.
The Ohio Department of Agriculture has requested guidance from the US EPA about what this ruling means to soybean producers and pesticide dealers in Ohio.
Visit the ODA webpage for updates.
For more information on the ruling, visit Peggy Hall's Law Blog
Dr. Mark Loux, professor and weed science specialist at The Ohio State University, recaps the events of dicamba and offers guidance on how to adjust herbicide programs. Read more...
Anyone that applies Xtendimax, FeXapan, Engenia or Tavium in Ohio must:
Take the dicamba-specific training (see below)
- Two-year registration (until December 20, 2020)
- Only certified applicators may apply dicamba over the top (those working under the supervision of a certified applicator may no longer make applications) Get Exam Prep Here:
- Prohibit over-the-top application of dicamba on soybeans 45 days after planting and cotton 60 days after planting
- For cotton, limit the number of over-the-top applications from 4 to 2 (soybeans remain at 2 over-the-top applications)
- Applications will be allowed only from 1 hour after sunrise to 2 hours before sunset
- In counties where endangered species may exist, the downwind buffer will remain at 110 feet and there will be a new 57-foot buffer around the other sides of the field (the 110-foot downwind buffer applies to all applications, not just in counties where endangered species may exist)
- Clarify training period for 2019 and beyond, ensuring consistency across all three products
- Enhanced tank clean out instructions for the entire system
- Enhanced label to improve applicator awareness on the impact of low pH’s on the potential volatility of dicamba
- Label clean up and consistency to improve compliance and enforceability
Precautions for Dicamba Use in Xtend Soybeans (Purdue Extension Factsheet)
Xtendimax Application Requirements
FeXapan Application Requirements
Engenia Application Requirements
Tavium Appliation Requirements
Ohio accepts training sessions led by the product registrants (BASF, Bayer, Syngenta). This includes webinars and online courses offered by the companies, as well as their in-person trainings. Ohio will also accect training from IN, KY, MI, PA & WV.
Dicamba-Specific Training Information
XTENDIMAX TRAINING INFORMATION
- Live webinars held every wednesday from 1/20/21-3/31/21
- Click here to see calendar and registration links
- Self-paced module coming soon
- Xtendimax product stewardship site: https://traits.bayer.com/Stewardship/Pages/Product-Stewardship.aspx
ENGENIA HERBICIDE TRAINING INFORMATION
- Self-paced online module: https://www.engeniaherbicide.com/training.html
- Engenia product stewardship site: www.engeniastewardship.com.
TAVIUM TRAINING INFORMATION
- Training is being updated for the 2021 season and will be available soon
- Tavium product stewardship site: https://www.syngenta-us.com/herbicides/tavium-application-stewardship
- No update available to date